- streaming saga May 9
That dreaded Netflix price increase is finally happening. New members will now have to pay a dollar more each month, making a monthly subscription $8.99. Existing subscribers don't need to worry yet, though, as their current rate will be locked in for another two years. Other regions, such as the United Kingdom and Europe, also experienced £1 and €1 hikes, respectively, too.
The increase comes after Nefflix CEO Reed Hastings warned subscribers last month that more expensive prices were imminent. This is first time Netflix has boosted its price since it introduced an all-streaming plan in 2011.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How I lost all my money
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week