- streaming saga May 9
That dreaded Netflix price increase is finally happening. New members will now have to pay a dollar more each month, making a monthly subscription $8.99. Existing subscribers don't need to worry yet, though, as their current rate will be locked in for another two years. Other regions, such as the United Kingdom and Europe, also experienced £1 and €1 hikes, respectively, too.
The increase comes after Nefflix CEO Reed Hastings warned subscribers last month that more expensive prices were imminent. This is first time Netflix has boosted its price since it introduced an all-streaming plan in 2011.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week