- streaming saga May 9
That dreaded Netflix price increase is finally happening. New members will now have to pay a dollar more each month, making a monthly subscription $8.99. Existing subscribers don't need to worry yet, though, as their current rate will be locked in for another two years. Other regions, such as the United Kingdom and Europe, also experienced £1 and €1 hikes, respectively, too.
The increase comes after Nefflix CEO Reed Hastings warned subscribers last month that more expensive prices were imminent. This is first time Netflix has boosted its price since it introduced an all-streaming plan in 2011.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week