- Hug your children May 9
Some interpretations of cosmology and the laws of thermodynamics imply that eventually, the universe will freeze and die. If galaxies keep racing away from each other, stars keep burning up their nuclear fuel, and entropy keeps increasing, then eventually all matter, including black holes, will decay and the universe will asymptotically approach a temperature of absolute zero.
Some guy cooked up a mechanism in the video game Minecraft that will take a bit over 1 googol years to complete, which is about the time that it will take for all the black holes to evaporate via Hawking radiation. In case you aren't feeling nihilistic enough this morning, it's pretty great:
Note, however, that this isn't the only possibility for the ultimate fate of the universe. Far-future thinking like this can get extremely weird.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week