- Hug your children May 9
Some interpretations of cosmology and the laws of thermodynamics imply that eventually, the universe will freeze and die. If galaxies keep racing away from each other, stars keep burning up their nuclear fuel, and entropy keeps increasing, then eventually all matter, including black holes, will decay and the universe will asymptotically approach a temperature of absolute zero.
Some guy cooked up a mechanism in the video game Minecraft that will take a bit over 1 googol years to complete, which is about the time that it will take for all the black holes to evaporate via Hawking radiation. In case you aren't feeling nihilistic enough this morning, it's pretty great:
Note, however, that this isn't the only possibility for the ultimate fate of the universe. Far-future thinking like this can get extremely weird.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Stop hating on cyclists
Subscribe to the Week