- our selfies, ourselves May 9
Good job, everyone! Your incessant love of taking selfies has convinced ABC to order a new comedy called Selfie.
The premise is about as 2014 as you can get: "After suffering a very public and humiliating breakup, [the show's main character] becomes the subject of a viral video and suddenly has more social media 'followers' than she ever imagined — but for all the wrong reasons. She enlists the help of a marketing expert at her company to help repair her tarnished image."
While the show's name is certainly cringe-worthy, it might not be a total disaster — it comes from Emily Kapnek, who created the charming show Suburgatory, and also stars Harold and Kumar actor John Cho.
Selfie premieres this fall, and we're already dreading ABC's inevitably hashtag-happy marketing blitz.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week