- our selfies, ourselves May 9
Good job, everyone! Your incessant love of taking selfies has convinced ABC to order a new comedy called Selfie.
The premise is about as 2014 as you can get: "After suffering a very public and humiliating breakup, [the show's main character] becomes the subject of a viral video and suddenly has more social media 'followers' than she ever imagined — but for all the wrong reasons. She enlists the help of a marketing expert at her company to help repair her tarnished image."
While the show's name is certainly cringe-worthy, it might not be a total disaster — it comes from Emily Kapnek, who created the charming show Suburgatory, and also stars Harold and Kumar actor John Cho.
Selfie premieres this fall, and we're already dreading ABC's inevitably hashtag-happy marketing blitz.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
Subscribe to the Week