- The gift that keeps on giving May 9
There are plenty of imaginative and hilarious Mother's Day cards. But for the most part, the Hallmarks of the world are limiting, lame, or downright wrong when it comes to expressing our myriad of feelings for Mother Dearest.
So this Mother's Day, ditch the clichéd statements of thanks and say it in song with The Week's Ode to Mom playlist.
In 13 songs that span five decades, you can express your gratitude for her endless support ("Hey Mama," by Kanye West), angst over those early helicopter years ("Mother," by Danzig), or just admit that mom really does know best ("Oh, Mother of Mine," by The Temptations).
Whatever the feeling, you can find it here. This Sunday, save yourself the embarrassment of a stock joke, tie this playlist up in a digital bow, and send it to the one you love for Mother's Day. At the very least, it'll save you a trip to the store. --Lauren Hansen
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week