- The gift that keeps on giving May 9
There are plenty of imaginative and hilarious Mother's Day cards. But for the most part, the Hallmarks of the world are limiting, lame, or downright wrong when it comes to expressing our myriad of feelings for Mother Dearest.
So this Mother's Day, ditch the clichéd statements of thanks and say it in song with The Week's Ode to Mom playlist.
In 13 songs that span five decades, you can express your gratitude for her endless support ("Hey Mama," by Kanye West), angst over those early helicopter years ("Mother," by Danzig), or just admit that mom really does know best ("Oh, Mother of Mine," by The Temptations).
Whatever the feeling, you can find it here. This Sunday, save yourself the embarrassment of a stock joke, tie this playlist up in a digital bow, and send it to the one you love for Mother's Day. At the very least, it'll save you a trip to the store. --Lauren Hansen
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week