- The gift that keeps on giving May 9
There are plenty of imaginative and hilarious Mother's Day cards. But for the most part, the Hallmarks of the world are limiting, lame, or downright wrong when it comes to expressing our myriad of feelings for Mother Dearest.
So this Mother's Day, ditch the clichéd statements of thanks and say it in song with The Week's Ode to Mom playlist.
In 13 songs that span five decades, you can express your gratitude for her endless support ("Hey Mama," by Kanye West), angst over those early helicopter years ("Mother," by Danzig), or just admit that mom really does know best ("Oh, Mother of Mine," by The Temptations).
Whatever the feeling, you can find it here. This Sunday, save yourself the embarrassment of a stock joke, tie this playlist up in a digital bow, and send it to the one you love for Mother's Day. At the very least, it'll save you a trip to the store. --Lauren Hansen
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
Subscribe to the Week