- Love Disconnection May 9
A dating game show in Turkey, Luck of the Draw, had a pretty unlucky moment on Thursday, AFP reports, when a male contestant revealed that he had served time in prison — for murdering his first wife, as well as a later lover.
The contestant, 62-year old Sefer Calinak, was then asked to leave the show, even though he promised that he would not kill for a third time.
"Women would leave me after I told them that I murdered my previous wives. But I spent 14 years in jail. I have changed," he told the Haberturk newspaper published Friday.
Calinak described himself as an "honest person looking for a new wife" and added: "The woman who will marry me should not be afraid that I would kill her."
Judging by this video clip, you don't even need to speak Turkish to know that this was a very awkward conversation. --Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week