- Love Disconnection May 9
A dating game show in Turkey, Luck of the Draw, had a pretty unlucky moment on Thursday, AFP reports, when a male contestant revealed that he had served time in prison — for murdering his first wife, as well as a later lover.
The contestant, 62-year old Sefer Calinak, was then asked to leave the show, even though he promised that he would not kill for a third time.
"Women would leave me after I told them that I murdered my previous wives. But I spent 14 years in jail. I have changed," he told the Haberturk newspaper published Friday.
Calinak described himself as an "honest person looking for a new wife" and added: "The woman who will marry me should not be afraid that I would kill her."
Judging by this video clip, you don't even need to speak Turkish to know that this was a very awkward conversation. --Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week