- Love Disconnection May 9
A dating game show in Turkey, Luck of the Draw, had a pretty unlucky moment on Thursday, AFP reports, when a male contestant revealed that he had served time in prison — for murdering his first wife, as well as a later lover.
The contestant, 62-year old Sefer Calinak, was then asked to leave the show, even though he promised that he would not kill for a third time.
"Women would leave me after I told them that I murdered my previous wives. But I spent 14 years in jail. I have changed," he told the Haberturk newspaper published Friday.
Calinak described himself as an "honest person looking for a new wife" and added: "The woman who will marry me should not be afraid that I would kill her."
Judging by this video clip, you don't even need to speak Turkish to know that this was a very awkward conversation. --Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week