- 2016 bummer games May 9
The London Evening Standard reports that London has been "secretly asked" if it is prepared to host the 2016 Summer Olympics in the event that Rio de Janeiro isn't fully prepared for the games. "An informal approach was made by Olympics bosses to discover whether enough venues from the triumphant 2012 London Games could be brought back into use," according to the report.
The IOC seems very concerned about Brazil's preparations. A couple weeks ago, a high-ranking IOC official publicly blasted Rio for being behind in "many, many ways," describing the prep as "the worst I have experienced."
Still, a repeat of the London games seems highly unlikely. What are the odds? "Infinitesimally small," an otherwise unidentified "source" tells the Evening Standard.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week