- 2016 bummer games May 9
The London Evening Standard reports that London has been "secretly asked" if it is prepared to host the 2016 Summer Olympics in the event that Rio de Janeiro isn't fully prepared for the games. "An informal approach was made by Olympics bosses to discover whether enough venues from the triumphant 2012 London Games could be brought back into use," according to the report.
The IOC seems very concerned about Brazil's preparations. A couple weeks ago, a high-ranking IOC official publicly blasted Rio for being behind in "many, many ways," describing the prep as "the worst I have experienced."
Still, a repeat of the London games seems highly unlikely. What are the odds? "Infinitesimally small," an otherwise unidentified "source" tells the Evening Standard.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week