- D.A.R.E. to be different May 10
"I have this joint here" is probably not a phrase often uttered in subcommittee hearings.
John Mica (R-Fla.) rolls differently, though, and he brought a marijuana cigarette — "Don't get too excited…this is not a real one, it's a mock one." — to a House Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee hearing on Friday. The hearing was in response to a recently passed bill that would decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Washington, D.C., Politico reports.
Mica used the prop while discussing how many grams of cannabis individuals would be able to possess without triggering criminal penalties under the new law. Either way, the image was surprising, to say the least:
As for who prepared the visual aid?
"I had staff do it," Mica said. "They have more experience."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week