- D.A.R.E. to be different May 10
"I have this joint here" is probably not a phrase often uttered in subcommittee hearings.
John Mica (R-Fla.) rolls differently, though, and he brought a marijuana cigarette — "Don't get too excited…this is not a real one, it's a mock one." — to a House Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee hearing on Friday. The hearing was in response to a recently passed bill that would decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Washington, D.C., Politico reports.
Mica used the prop while discussing how many grams of cannabis individuals would be able to possess without triggering criminal penalties under the new law. Either way, the image was surprising, to say the least:
As for who prepared the visual aid?
"I had staff do it," Mica said. "They have more experience."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week