- D.A.R.E. to be different May 10
"I have this joint here" is probably not a phrase often uttered in subcommittee hearings.
John Mica (R-Fla.) rolls differently, though, and he brought a marijuana cigarette — "Don't get too excited…this is not a real one, it's a mock one." — to a House Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee hearing on Friday. The hearing was in response to a recently passed bill that would decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Washington, D.C., Politico reports.
Mica used the prop while discussing how many grams of cannabis individuals would be able to possess without triggering criminal penalties under the new law. Either way, the image was surprising, to say the least:
As for who prepared the visual aid?
"I had staff do it," Mica said. "They have more experience."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
Subscribe to the Week