- Numbers don't lie May 11
You should probably stop reading this and go hang out with your mother, or at least give her a call if you haven't already. That's because a quarter of Americans say a little quality time with mom is the best Mother's Day gift, according to a timely CBS poll.
Meanwhile, 22 percent say flowers are the best gift, while 10 percent offer some variation of love/hug/kiss/respect. Most of the other top responses are intangible, too — "good behavior" and "happiness" are in the mix — which makes sense. But I'm a bit surprised there aren't more creatively lavish responses in there as well. An oversized check for $1,000,000 would be a pretty awesome gift, as would a brand new car. You could even drive said new car to see your mom.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go wish a certain someone a happy Mother's Day.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week