- foreign affairs May 11
Ahead of scheduled talks this week between Iranian, United Nations, and Western officials to further diplomatic negotiations about Tehran's nuclear ambitions, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei assailed the West's supposed double standard with regard to self-defense.
"They expect us to limit our missile program while they constantly threaten Iran with military action," he said, adding that it was a "stupid, idiotic expectation."
Iran and Western powers are to meet Tuesday to discuss the next steps in the ongoing negotiations aimed at curbing Iran's nuclear program. Though missile proliferation is not exactly a part of those discussions, Khamenei's remarks underscore the distrust between the two sides that has made progress to this point slow and halting.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Subscribe to the Week