- Reality-Show Reality Check May 12
Reaction from Russian politicians and stars following "bearded lady" Conchita Wurst's win in the Eurovision Song Contest was swift and nasty. The victory by Wurst, who is the alter ego of Austrian performer Tom Neuwirth, was blasted on Russian state television as the "end of Europe" by nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky.
On Twitter, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin shared in the outrage, adding that the Eurovision results "showed supporters of European integration their European future: a bearded girl." And it wasn't just politicians. Russian rapper Timati commented on his Instagram account that Wurst's win was a result of a "mental illness of contemporary society."
Judging by Wurst's comments during Saturday's trophy presentation, she's probably unfazed by her haters. "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are. We are unity and we are unstoppable," she said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Surviving a plane crash
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Everything you need to master Chinese cooking
- The greatest sniper duel in history is a myth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week