- Reality-Show Reality Check May 12
Reaction from Russian politicians and stars following "bearded lady" Conchita Wurst's win in the Eurovision Song Contest was swift and nasty. The victory by Wurst, who is the alter ego of Austrian performer Tom Neuwirth, was blasted on Russian state television as the "end of Europe" by nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky.
On Twitter, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin shared in the outrage, adding that the Eurovision results "showed supporters of European integration their European future: a bearded girl." And it wasn't just politicians. Russian rapper Timati commented on his Instagram account that Wurst's win was a result of a "mental illness of contemporary society."
Judging by Wurst's comments during Saturday's trophy presentation, she's probably unfazed by her haters. "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are. We are unity and we are unstoppable," she said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- How America's broken immigration system is failing the military
Subscribe to the Week