- Reality-Show Reality Check May 12
Reaction from Russian politicians and stars following "bearded lady" Conchita Wurst's win in the Eurovision Song Contest was swift and nasty. The victory by Wurst, who is the alter ego of Austrian performer Tom Neuwirth, was blasted on Russian state television as the "end of Europe" by nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky.
On Twitter, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin shared in the outrage, adding that the Eurovision results "showed supporters of European integration their European future: a bearded girl." And it wasn't just politicians. Russian rapper Timati commented on his Instagram account that Wurst's win was a result of a "mental illness of contemporary society."
Judging by Wurst's comments during Saturday's trophy presentation, she's probably unfazed by her haters. "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are. We are unity and we are unstoppable," she said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week