- Donald Sterling May 12
You may have heard about Donald Sterling's non-apology apology on CNN — but I'm even more intrigued by a recording (purportedly of Sterling) released Friday by Radar Online.
According to that recording, Sterling's explanation for his alleged racist remarks to his girlfriend (which were caught on tape) goes like this:
The girl is black. I like her. I'm jealous that she's with other black guys. I want her. So what the hell, can I in private tell her, you know, 'I don't want you to be with anybody'?" the man purported to be Sterling says in the new tape, according to Radar Online.
"I'm trying to have sex with her. I'm trying to play with her," the man also says. "You know, if you (are trying) to have sex with a girl and you're talking with her privately, you don't think anybody's there. You may say anything in the world. What difference does it make? [CNN]
Assuming this is legit, it makes Sterling sound pathetic — which may be precisely why this seems a somewhat plausible explanation.
We know men lie about sex. But why lie about being a racist? Here's a theory: Evincing jealousy (being honest) would make Sterling appear weak to his girlfriend, while feigning racism merely implies that (Sterling thinks) he's superior — and that the other men are somehow inferior.
That's not to say this is rational or excusable. And the fact that Sterling seems to have a history of racial insensitivity makes one less inclined to cut him any slack. But maybe, in his warped mind, pretending to be a racist was better than admitting he was a cuckold?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week