- this is happening May 12
The Kennedy Center, which has honored mega-stars from Meryl Streep to Tina Turner, will now showcase performers who have hit it big on YouTube. The center said today it's hosting a one-time, free concert event called "YouTube OnStage Live from the Kennedy Center" on May 28.
John Legend will be the headliner. The YouTube part of the line-up includes French brothers Les Twins, doo-wop group Postmodern Jukebox, and electronic violinist Lindsey Stirling. Oddly, the event won't be streamed live on YouTube, but clips will be available on the site after the event.
"The Kennedy Center is a temple of culture," a Kennedy Center official told The Washington Post. "And YouTube has become a 21st century temple of culture."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week