- What? May 12
Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Monday rebuffed questions that he would be ousted by his party's restive right wing, saying "I expect to be Speaker" come next year.
Yet when asked if he would serve the entirety of a two-year term if he wins re-election in November, Boehner sounded far less certain, offering instead an ominous prediction.
"I'm going to be 65 years old in November," he said. "I never thought I'd live to be 60, so I'm living on borrowed time."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week