- Sterling Cooper goes Mad Men May 12
CNN's much-teased interview with Donald Sterling was broadcast today — with some incredible new doozies from the embattled owner of the Los Angeles Clippers. Sterling lashed out at Magic Johnson, claiming that he had told him to lie low instead of publicly apologizing immediately for the racist comments he made on a phone call with his girlfriend V. Stiviano. But in addition, he attacked Johnson's own morality — for having HIV.
"Well, what kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV? Is that someone we want to respect, and tell our kids about?" Sterling said. "I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background."
Here are some major highlights of the interview, in which Sterling discusses Johnson, Stiviano, other NBA owners, and the differences between the Jewish and African-American communities.
Sterling also asked Anderson Cooper a rhetorical question: "Did you ever like a girl, and were you ever jealous of her a little bit if she was with other guys?"
Anderson Cooper is, of course, gay — he publicly acknowledged his sexuality about two years ago. (Indeed, it was an open secret for long before that.) However, Cooper did not dwell on this particular aspect of Sterling's question; instead, he proceeded by asking why Sterling had requested that his girlfriend specifically not be seen with black men.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Britain has basically decriminalized internet piracy. The U.S. should, too.
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week