- Sterling Cooper goes Mad Men May 12
CNN's much-teased interview with Donald Sterling was broadcast today — with some incredible new doozies from the embattled owner of the Los Angeles Clippers. Sterling lashed out at Magic Johnson, claiming that he had told him to lie low instead of publicly apologizing immediately for the racist comments he made on a phone call with his girlfriend V. Stiviano. But in addition, he attacked Johnson's own morality — for having HIV.
"Well, what kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV? Is that someone we want to respect, and tell our kids about?" Sterling said. "I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background."
Here are some major highlights of the interview, in which Sterling discusses Johnson, Stiviano, other NBA owners, and the differences between the Jewish and African-American communities.
Sterling also asked Anderson Cooper a rhetorical question: "Did you ever like a girl, and were you ever jealous of her a little bit if she was with other guys?"
Anderson Cooper is, of course, gay — he publicly acknowledged his sexuality about two years ago. (Indeed, it was an open secret for long before that.) However, Cooper did not dwell on this particular aspect of Sterling's question; instead, he proceeded by asking why Sterling had requested that his girlfriend specifically not be seen with black men.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 5 of the most expensive bottles of wine ever sold
Subscribe to the Week