- bring your pepper spray May 13
In preparation for next month's World Cup, Brazilian police have released a pamphlet full of safety tips that includes an instruction to not scream if mugged. The country is battling one of the world's highest murder rates, so the tips are meant for American and European visitors who are not used to such an extreme level of violence and could unknowingly escalate a robbery into a murder, reports BBC News.
"Do not react, scream, or argue," says the brochure, which was written by Sao Paulo police. Tourists are also told to exercise caution at night, be aware of their surroundings, and not to flaunt valuable objects.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- California's epic drought
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- This week I learned the meteor that doomed the dinos gave us seasonal trees, and more
Subscribe to the Week