- bring your pepper spray May 13
In preparation for next month's World Cup, Brazilian police have released a pamphlet full of safety tips that includes an instruction to not scream if mugged. The country is battling one of the world's highest murder rates, so the tips are meant for American and European visitors who are not used to such an extreme level of violence and could unknowingly escalate a robbery into a murder, reports BBC News.
"Do not react, scream, or argue," says the brochure, which was written by Sao Paulo police. Tourists are also told to exercise caution at night, be aware of their surroundings, and not to flaunt valuable objects.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week