- Louie, Louie, Louie May 13
Louis C.K.'s show on FX, Louie, has never been one to mince words. Last night's episode, "So Did the Fat Lady," had quite a lot to say about dating while overweight.
In the episode, the titular character Louie at first rejects the advances of bubbly waitress Vanessa (Sarah Baker), before finally asking her out. Smart, funny, and independent, Vanessa is a great match for Louie. But, as Libby Hill points out at the AV Club, "not even being the platonic ideal is enough when you're an overweight woman," and Vanessa can sense that Louie somehow feels he deserves better.
The issue comes to a heartbreaking climax in the episode's final scene, when Vanessa bluntly tells Louie that the worst thing a man can do is tell a fat woman that she's not fat. "What is it about the basics of human happiness — you know, feeling attractive, feeling loved, having guys chase after us — that's just not in the cards for us?" she asks. The whole scene is emotional and wonderfully acted, and naturally, critics have many interesting things to say about it.
Watch the scene in full below. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week