- Louie, Louie, Louie May 13
Louis C.K.'s show on FX, Louie, has never been one to mince words. Last night's episode, "So Did the Fat Lady," had quite a lot to say about dating while overweight.
In the episode, the titular character Louie at first rejects the advances of bubbly waitress Vanessa (Sarah Baker), before finally asking her out. Smart, funny, and independent, Vanessa is a great match for Louie. But, as Libby Hill points out at the AV Club, "not even being the platonic ideal is enough when you're an overweight woman," and Vanessa can sense that Louie somehow feels he deserves better.
The issue comes to a heartbreaking climax in the episode's final scene, when Vanessa bluntly tells Louie that the worst thing a man can do is tell a fat woman that she's not fat. "What is it about the basics of human happiness — you know, feeling attractive, feeling loved, having guys chase after us — that's just not in the cards for us?" she asks. The whole scene is emotional and wonderfully acted, and naturally, critics have many interesting things to say about it.
Watch the scene in full below. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- As deadly skin cancer rates keep climbing, surgeon general says to stop tanning and wear sunscreen
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week