- The backlash continues June 3
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday assailed the Obama administration's decision to swap five Taliban prisoners for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, calling the move "ill-fated" and "a mistake." Given McCain's past — he was a POW for five years during the Vietnam War before being freed in a mass detainee exchange — his remark carried an added heft and, to some, more than a hint of hypocrisy.
McCain said earlier in the week that he was leery of the deal, though he did not condemn it in such striking terms.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 18, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week