- The backlash continues June 3
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday assailed the Obama administration's decision to swap five Taliban prisoners for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, calling the move "ill-fated" and "a mistake." Given McCain's past — he was a POW for five years during the Vietnam War before being freed in a mass detainee exchange — his remark carried an added heft and, to some, more than a hint of hypocrisy.
McCain said earlier in the week that he was leery of the deal, though he did not condemn it in such striking terms.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- For the GOP, gay marriage could be the most important issue in 2016
Subscribe to the Week