- The backlash continues June 3
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday assailed the Obama administration's decision to swap five Taliban prisoners for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, calling the move "ill-fated" and "a mistake." Given McCain's past — he was a POW for five years during the Vietnam War before being freed in a mass detainee exchange — his remark carried an added heft and, to some, more than a hint of hypocrisy.
McCain said earlier in the week that he was leery of the deal, though he did not condemn it in such striking terms.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week