- Boring June 3
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) and California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) have, like many lawmakers before them, placed a friendly wager on a sporting contest between their local teams. The only difference is that their bet is a stilted bunch of nonsense.
Rather than placing the standard wager of some regional beers or coming up with anything else to up ante that is remotely associated with sports, let alone hockey, the two governors bet a bunch of items that sound like leftovers from an NPR pledge drive. Brown's package includes "Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Cakes, Lightly Salted." Cuomo's includes locally-sourced items like apples and maple syrup, as well as a "commemorative hockey puck from the 2013 'Hat Trick' of three on-time budgets in a row."
Because nothing says "Stanley Cup" quite like Sammy and Annie Food's Chicken Riggie Pasta Sauce Starter.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week