- Boring June 3
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) and California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) have, like many lawmakers before them, placed a friendly wager on a sporting contest between their local teams. The only difference is that their bet is a stilted bunch of nonsense.
Rather than placing the standard wager of some regional beers or coming up with anything else to up ante that is remotely associated with sports, let alone hockey, the two governors bet a bunch of items that sound like leftovers from an NPR pledge drive. Brown's package includes "Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Cakes, Lightly Salted." Cuomo's includes locally-sourced items like apples and maple syrup, as well as a "commemorative hockey puck from the 2013 'Hat Trick' of three on-time budgets in a row."
Because nothing says "Stanley Cup" quite like Sammy and Annie Food's Chicken Riggie Pasta Sauce Starter.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week