- Boring June 3
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) and California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) have, like many lawmakers before them, placed a friendly wager on a sporting contest between their local teams. The only difference is that their bet is a stilted bunch of nonsense.
Rather than placing the standard wager of some regional beers or coming up with anything else to up ante that is remotely associated with sports, let alone hockey, the two governors bet a bunch of items that sound like leftovers from an NPR pledge drive. Brown's package includes "Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Cakes, Lightly Salted." Cuomo's includes locally-sourced items like apples and maple syrup, as well as a "commemorative hockey puck from the 2013 'Hat Trick' of three on-time budgets in a row."
Because nothing says "Stanley Cup" quite like Sammy and Annie Food's Chicken Riggie Pasta Sauce Starter.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week