- Allons-y! June 3
How do you get more people to bike to work? For France, the answer to that question is simple: Pay them.
Yes, France is launching a six-month trial program that will pay people a small stipend — 25 euro cents per kilometer — when they ride to the office. The government hopes the plan will up ridership by 50 percent, and will re-assess whether to continue it later this year. As Treehugger notes, similar efforts in Belgium and the Netherlands helped boost ridership in those nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- For the last time: Congress is not exempt from ObamaCare
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week