- Allons-y! June 3
How do you get more people to bike to work? For France, the answer to that question is simple: Pay them.
Yes, France is launching a six-month trial program that will pay people a small stipend — 25 euro cents per kilometer — when they ride to the office. The government hopes the plan will up ridership by 50 percent, and will re-assess whether to continue it later this year. As Treehugger notes, similar efforts in Belgium and the Netherlands helped boost ridership in those nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- These vintage Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons offer a delightful glimpse into pop culture past
Subscribe to the Week