- Allons-y! June 3
How do you get more people to bike to work? For France, the answer to that question is simple: Pay them.
Yes, France is launching a six-month trial program that will pay people a small stipend — 25 euro cents per kilometer — when they ride to the office. The government hopes the plan will up ridership by 50 percent, and will re-assess whether to continue it later this year. As Treehugger notes, similar efforts in Belgium and the Netherlands helped boost ridership in those nations.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
Subscribe to the Week