- The Daily Showdown June 5
Republicans are more sure than ever about certain subjects, said Jon Stewart on Wednesday night's Daily Show: Cutting taxes creates jobs, cutting carbon emissions kills jobs, and money is speech, for example. But especially when it comes to questions of science, the GOP politicians' strong stands are often accompanied by admissions that they have no particular knowledge or expertise on the subject they're taking a stand on, like climate change. Stewart rolled some clips to prove his point.
So far, classic Daily Show. That's all largely a setup, though, for a certain Republican who is an expert on the subject he's forcefully weighing in on. The problem, Stewart said, is that Lt. Col. Oliver North's expertise on hostage negotiations only undercuts his arguments regarding the prisoner swap for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. Stewart had a field day with North's objections to the deal — there's a solid hipster joke — and his big fault with President Obama's handling of the situation. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Why everyone got upset about Marriott's plan to increase housekeepers' pay
Subscribe to the Week