- The Daily Showdown June 5
Republicans are more sure than ever about certain subjects, said Jon Stewart on Wednesday night's Daily Show: Cutting taxes creates jobs, cutting carbon emissions kills jobs, and money is speech, for example. But especially when it comes to questions of science, the GOP politicians' strong stands are often accompanied by admissions that they have no particular knowledge or expertise on the subject they're taking a stand on, like climate change. Stewart rolled some clips to prove his point.
So far, classic Daily Show. That's all largely a setup, though, for a certain Republican who is an expert on the subject he's forcefully weighing in on. The problem, Stewart said, is that Lt. Col. Oliver North's expertise on hostage negotiations only undercuts his arguments regarding the prisoner swap for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. Stewart had a field day with North's objections to the deal — there's a solid hipster joke — and his big fault with President Obama's handling of the situation. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week