Some days are meant for lingering in the kitchen — for tempering chocolate on a marble slab and listening to the warm crackle of bacon in the skillet.
Other days, we go rogue. We break our rules with abandon and make the most of what's in our kitchens, right now. There will be no double boilers or heat diffusers to stand in our way — and if you forgot to bring your butter to room temperature, don't worry about it. Because tonight, we're doing it all MacGyver-style — that is, if MacGyver hacked sous vide machines instead of diffusing bombs with a toothpick. You already have everything you need — so let's get cooking.
Finish it off with a fresh juice — no juicer needed.
Then, keep it all warm with an improvised heat diffuser.
Do you have a sheet pan? A piece of aluminum foil? You can make a tart pan of any size.
Finally, grab a spoon and crack open a beer — you deserve it.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
Subscribe to the Week