At a time when most soccer (or, as one should say, football) fans are busy obsessing over match times, big screens, and office betting pools, we simply look at the list of FIFA's top-ranked teams and think about the foods they represent. As lithe athletes from all over the world converge in Brazil, they leave some delicious national cuisines behind. Which is where we come in: to place them in an edible ranking of our own (even if it's not the most culturally authentic).
No matter who we’re rooting for, we can all sit down to the same table and enjoy something delicious. Here, then, are some of the top-ranked teams in this year's tournament — with recipes to match.
4. Portugal: Caul-do Verde (Portuguese Caldo Verde with Cauliflower) by Bogre
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week