At a time when most soccer (or, as one should say, football) fans are busy obsessing over match times, big screens, and office betting pools, we simply look at the list of FIFA's top-ranked teams and think about the foods they represent. As lithe athletes from all over the world converge in Brazil, they leave some delicious national cuisines behind. Which is where we come in: to place them in an edible ranking of our own (even if it's not the most culturally authentic).
No matter who we’re rooting for, we can all sit down to the same table and enjoy something delicious. Here, then, are some of the top-ranked teams in this year's tournament — with recipes to match.
4. Portugal: Caul-do Verde (Portuguese Caldo Verde with Cauliflower) by Bogre
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week