At a time when most soccer (or, as one should say, football) fans are busy obsessing over match times, big screens, and office betting pools, we simply look at the list of FIFA's top-ranked teams and think about the foods they represent. As lithe athletes from all over the world converge in Brazil, they leave some delicious national cuisines behind. Which is where we come in: to place them in an edible ranking of our own (even if it's not the most culturally authentic).
No matter who we’re rooting for, we can all sit down to the same table and enjoy something delicious. Here, then, are some of the top-ranked teams in this year's tournament — with recipes to match.
4. Portugal: Caul-do Verde (Portuguese Caldo Verde with Cauliflower) by Bogre
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Cuba should beware of Westerners bearing gifts
Subscribe to the Week