At a time when most soccer (or, as one should say, football) fans are busy obsessing over match times, big screens, and office betting pools, we simply look at the list of FIFA's top-ranked teams and think about the foods they represent. As lithe athletes from all over the world converge in Brazil, they leave some delicious national cuisines behind. Which is where we come in: to place them in an edible ranking of our own (even if it's not the most culturally authentic).
No matter who we’re rooting for, we can all sit down to the same table and enjoy something delicious. Here, then, are some of the top-ranked teams in this year's tournament — with recipes to match.
4. Portugal: Caul-do Verde (Portuguese Caldo Verde with Cauliflower) by Bogre
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week