At a time when most soccer (or, as one should say, football) fans are busy obsessing over match times, big screens, and office betting pools, we simply look at the list of FIFA's top-ranked teams and think about the foods they represent. As lithe athletes from all over the world converge in Brazil, they leave some delicious national cuisines behind. Which is where we come in: to place them in an edible ranking of our own (even if it's not the most culturally authentic).
No matter who we’re rooting for, we can all sit down to the same table and enjoy something delicious. Here, then, are some of the top-ranked teams in this year's tournament — with recipes to match.
4. Portugal: Caul-do Verde (Portuguese Caldo Verde with Cauliflower) by Bogre
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
Subscribe to the Week