Audiophile: Listen SmarterThe 5 linguistic styles of exciting goal calls
"GOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" is but one possibility
Watch the various goal calls in action:
Listen to more of The Week's mini podcasts:
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Picnic at Hanging Rock
- This week I learned you're cutting cake the wrong way, and more
- It's time to declare war on climate change — literally
Arika Okrent is editor-at-large at TheWeek.com and a frequent contributor to Mental Floss. She is the author of In the Land of Invented Languages, a history of the attempt to build a better language. She holds a doctorate in linguistics and a first-level certification in Klingon.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week