Audiophile: Listen SmarterThe 5 linguistic styles of exciting goal calls
"GOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" is but one possibility
Watch the various goal calls in action:
Listen to more of The Week's mini podcasts:
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Picnic at Hanging Rock
- This week I learned you're cutting cake the wrong way, and more
- It's time to declare war on climate change — literally
Arika Okrent is editor-at-large at TheWeek.com and a frequent contributor to Mental Floss. She is the author of In the Land of Invented Languages, a history of the attempt to build a better language. She holds a doctorate in linguistics and a first-level certification in Klingon.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week