Audiophile: Listen SmarterThe 5 linguistic styles of exciting goal calls
"GOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" is but one possibility
Watch the various goal calls in action:
Listen to more of The Week's mini podcasts:
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Picnic at Hanging Rock
- This week I learned you're cutting cake the wrong way, and more
- It's time to declare war on climate change — literally
Arika Okrent is editor-at-large at TheWeek.com and a frequent contributor to Mental Floss. She is the author of In the Land of Invented Languages, a history of the attempt to build a better language. She holds a doctorate in linguistics and a first-level certification in Klingon.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week