Here's a little secret: It's pretty difficult to find an ice cream that can't be improved (at least a little) by an awesome topping. Of course there's no scientific data here, but we're counting on gooey butterscotch, crumbled peanut butter cups, and caramelized white chocolate sauce to back us up.
While we love complex ice cream flavors (Earl Grey ice cream with blackberry swirl, anyone?), a solid topping still takes things to the next level. So here are 13 of them for your next ice cream social — or maybe just for later tonight.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week