Here's a little secret: It's pretty difficult to find an ice cream that can't be improved (at least a little) by an awesome topping. Of course there's no scientific data here, but we're counting on gooey butterscotch, crumbled peanut butter cups, and caramelized white chocolate sauce to back us up.
While we love complex ice cream flavors (Earl Grey ice cream with blackberry swirl, anyone?), a solid topping still takes things to the next level. So here are 13 of them for your next ice cream social — or maybe just for later tonight.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week