Here's a little secret: It's pretty difficult to find an ice cream that can't be improved (at least a little) by an awesome topping. Of course there's no scientific data here, but we're counting on gooey butterscotch, crumbled peanut butter cups, and caramelized white chocolate sauce to back us up.
While we love complex ice cream flavors (Earl Grey ice cream with blackberry swirl, anyone?), a solid topping still takes things to the next level. So here are 13 of them for your next ice cream social — or maybe just for later tonight.
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 20, 2014
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
- Meet the 11 condoms of the future selected by Bill Gates
Subscribe to the Week