- More metal than you July 14
Unlocking the Truth are so metal their amps go up to 11 — which, as it happens, is just about how old the band members are, too.
The trio of Brooklyn middle schoolers — 13-year-old guitarist Malcolm Brickhouse, 13-year-old bassist Alec Atkins, and 12-year-old drummer Jarad Dawkins — have been turning heads with their precociously ferocious shredding ever since a video of them busking near a New York City subway station went viral (watch the video below). After landing gigs at Coachella and Warped Tour this summer, the band has finally parlayed their talent into a mammoth five-record deal with Sony worth $1.8 million.
The band is only guaranteed a $60,000 advance for the first album, and will need to sell 250,000 copies to tap the rest of that fortune — no small feat for a new band, let alone one in a niche genre like metal. Still, how many kids get a $60,000 check before hitting puberty?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week