We firmly believe in pie for every occasion. Give us a long weekend, a picnic, or an irrational number, and we'll dust off our ceramic plates in a heartbeat. Come summer, however, there's something especially glorious about our flaky friends: Piled high with juicy berries and slivers of stone fruit, pie tastes like a gift from the season itself, all wrapped up in a butter crust.
So, with the dog days upon us, we rounded up our favorite sweet and savory pastries for your next picnic, for your family reunion, or for any old day summer day — just because. Bake a pie for dessert tonight, and in the morning, eat it right out of the fridge. It will be the breakfast of champions.
Hand pies and lattice-top pie photos by Yossy Arefi; all other photos by James Ransom
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The best books we read in 2014
Subscribe to the Week