We firmly believe in pie for every occasion. Give us a long weekend, a picnic, or an irrational number, and we'll dust off our ceramic plates in a heartbeat. Come summer, however, there's something especially glorious about our flaky friends: Piled high with juicy berries and slivers of stone fruit, pie tastes like a gift from the season itself, all wrapped up in a butter crust.
So, with the dog days upon us, we rounded up our favorite sweet and savory pastries for your next picnic, for your family reunion, or for any old day summer day — just because. Bake a pie for dessert tonight, and in the morning, eat it right out of the fridge. It will be the breakfast of champions.
Hand pies and lattice-top pie photos by Yossy Arefi; all other photos by James Ransom
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
Subscribe to the Week