We firmly believe in pie for every occasion. Give us a long weekend, a picnic, or an irrational number, and we'll dust off our ceramic plates in a heartbeat. Come summer, however, there's something especially glorious about our flaky friends: Piled high with juicy berries and slivers of stone fruit, pie tastes like a gift from the season itself, all wrapped up in a butter crust.
So, with the dog days upon us, we rounded up our favorite sweet and savory pastries for your next picnic, for your family reunion, or for any old day summer day — just because. Bake a pie for dessert tonight, and in the morning, eat it right out of the fridge. It will be the breakfast of champions.
Hand pies and lattice-top pie photos by Yossy Arefi; all other photos by James Ransom
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week