We firmly believe in pie for every occasion. Give us a long weekend, a picnic, or an irrational number, and we'll dust off our ceramic plates in a heartbeat. Come summer, however, there's something especially glorious about our flaky friends: Piled high with juicy berries and slivers of stone fruit, pie tastes like a gift from the season itself, all wrapped up in a butter crust.
So, with the dog days upon us, we rounded up our favorite sweet and savory pastries for your next picnic, for your family reunion, or for any old day summer day — just because. Bake a pie for dessert tonight, and in the morning, eat it right out of the fridge. It will be the breakfast of champions.
Hand pies and lattice-top pie photos by Yossy Arefi; all other photos by James Ransom
More from Food52...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week