- Really? July 23
CNN ran an opinion article by John Sutter this morning with the provocative title "The argument for eating dog." Since it was published, social media sites, especially Twitter, have exploded with negative responses to Sutter's article.
It's not surprising that Sutter's article elicited a strong response — his first sentence linked out to graphic photos of the dog meat trade. Sutter goes on to say that eating dog meat could be "helpful" in the United States. Here's a summary of Sutter's thesis:
If we think dog shouldn't be eaten — like, ever, regardless of how clean the trade is and how quick the kill — then maybe we should think about the other animals we eat, and if and why we don't feel the same way about them. Is it because we spend so much time with dogs — looking into their eyes, talking to them, walking them, picking up their crap — that we understand that they are living, breathing, feeling beings? Would we feel that way about other animals if we could hang out more? [CNN]
Most Americans think eating dog is bad, but why do we think that? Whether or not you agree with Sutter, it's a valid question about eating animals on the whole. While you ponder that, here are some of Twitter's best and funniest responses to the CNN article.
Eating dogs? yuck! *boils a garbage eating waterbug alive*— Walder Football (@OhWowHmm) July 23, 2014
just keep freaking out about eating dogs, white people. in 20 years you'll have overpriced microwaveable dog at Trader Joe's— sarah jeong (@sarahjeong) July 23, 2014
Author of dog-eating op-ed is "rooting for the world's underdogs." The underdog is the most tender part of the dog. pic.twitter.com/zUNWMeqB25— Eric Geller (@ericgeller) July 23, 2014
In other ironies: Today is National Hot Dog Day. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Why colleges' insistence on 'diversity' actually fails disadvantaged kids
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week