- Coming Soon July 24
The long-awaited first trailer for the big-screen adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey doesn't exactly shy away from the novel's legendary steaminess. "I exercise control in all things, Miss Steele" says Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) after meeting the shy young protagonist, Anastasia (Dakota Johnson). "I don't do romance. My tastes are very singular. You wouldn't understand." When Anastasia asks him to enlighten her, we get a brief glimpse of his proclivities: ropes, riding crops, and makeshift eye masks.
This trailer gets a major assist from a new slow-burn version of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" — but can the full movie sustain the level of heat its fans are eagerly expecting? We'll see if the 50 Shades of Grey movie has faithfully translated the book in all its X-rated glory when it arrives on Valentine's Day next year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Pope Francis' American problem
Subscribe to the Week