- Coming Soon July 24
The long-awaited first trailer for the big-screen adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey doesn't exactly shy away from the novel's legendary steaminess. "I exercise control in all things, Miss Steele" says Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) after meeting the shy young protagonist, Anastasia (Dakota Johnson). "I don't do romance. My tastes are very singular. You wouldn't understand." When Anastasia asks him to enlighten her, we get a brief glimpse of his proclivities: ropes, riding crops, and makeshift eye masks.
This trailer gets a major assist from a new slow-burn version of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" — but can the full movie sustain the level of heat its fans are eagerly expecting? We'll see if the 50 Shades of Grey movie has faithfully translated the book in all its X-rated glory when it arrives on Valentine's Day next year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
Subscribe to the Week