July 28, 1814: As British troops moved up the Chesapeake Bay, an angry crowd gathered outside the President's House, warning James and Dolley Madison that they would be prevented from fleeing Washington if they attempted to do so. There had been rumors that Madison would flee as the War of 1812 progressed.
July 28, 1932: President Herbert Hoover sent in the Army to evict protesting veterans who were camping on the National Mall in Washington. The veterans were demanding benefits that they had been promised. Hoover feared violence from the 17,000-man "Bonus Army." He told Douglas MacArthur and Dwight Eisenhower to boot them out of the nation's capital.
July 28, 1943: President Franklin D. Roosevelt announced the end of coffee rationing; it had been in short supply in the early stages of World War II. Many things that we take for granted today were rationed to help the war effort: gas, sugar, meat, butter. Americans got by.
July 28, 1965: President Lyndon Johnson ordered 50,000 more U.S. troops to Vietnam — bringing the number to 125,000. But the U.S. buildup was just beginning. It would double, and then double again, peaking at 538,000 in 1968.
Quote of the Day
"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other." — Abraham Lincoln
More from West Wing Reports...
- Obama's hands on, hands off foreign policy
- Mind the gap: gender gap persists with Dems, GOP
- Climate change could spark global violence
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
Subscribe to the Week