- Dems in Disarray August 7
John Walsh, the Democratic senator from Montana, dropped out of his Senate race on Thursday. His campaign had been in trouble ever since The New York Times reported in July that Walsh had plagiarized significant portions of a college research paper in 2007.
Democrats will now have to scramble to come up with a candidate to face Republican Rep. Steve Daines in the November election. A libertarian candidate, Roger Roots, is also running.
Walsh was appointed to the Senate in February, replacing Max Baucus, who was named President Obama's ambassador to China in December 2013.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week