Scrabble lovers know that the game's all-too-often elusive prize is the "Bingo," when a player uses all seven tiles at once to make a word. Our friends at Vocabulary.com prepared this list of relatively common seven- and eight-letter words with high point totals. The fact that these words are somewhat familiar should make memorizing them that much easier, and your next game of Scrabble that much more winnable.
(Note: All point totals include the 50-point bonus for using all the tiles.)
1. QUIXOTIC (76 POINTS)
Quixotic: Not sensible about practical matters; idealistic and unrealistic.
2. MAXIMIZE (78 POINTS)
Maximize: Make as big or large as possible.
3. WHEEZILY (76 POINTS)
Wheezily: With a husky or whistling sound.
4. EQUALIZE (76 POINTS)
Equalize: Make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching.
5. CHUTZPAH (77 POINTS)
Chutzpah: (Yiddish) unbelievable gall; insolence; audacity.
6. EXORCISE (76 POINTS)
Exorcise: Expel through adjuration or prayers.
7. WHIZBANG (76 POINTS)
Whizbang: A small high-velocity shell that makes a whizzing sound followed by a bang when it hits; something very conspicuous or effective.
8. JEZEBEL (75 POINTS)
Jezebel: A shameless impudent scheming woman.
9. SQUEEZE (75 POINTS)
Squeeze: Press firmly.
10. JUKEBOX (77 POINTS)
Jukebox: A cabinet containing an automatic record player; records are played by inserting a coin.
11. FLAPJACK (76 POINTS)
Flapjack: A pancake; a flat cake of thin batter fried on both sides on a griddle.
To learn about more words with high Scrabble point totals and to add them to your vocabulary-learning program, see the full list at Vocabulary.com.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- For the last time: Congress is not exempt from ObamaCare
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
Subscribe to the Week