You may have heard of the Bowery Boys, a notorious New York street gang of the mid-19th century. But there were plenty of other gangs fighting it out for turf during that time, and some of them had pretty great names. Here are 15 street gangs you wouldn't want to mess with, even if their names made you laugh.
1. BAXTER STREET DUDES
Teenage former newsies who went around stealing when not performing at the theater they ran.
2. BOODLE GANG
Specialized in hijacking wagons and raiding food stores.
3. CORCORAN'S ROOSTERS
Also known as the Charlton Street Gang, they specialized in robbing cargo ships.
4. HUMPTY JACKSON GANG
With a leader whose most noticeable feature was his humpback, this gang worked the Lower East Side.
5. MOLASSES GANG
Their thing was to get a shopkeeper to fill a hat with molasses and then slap it over his head and run off with the cash drawer.
6. CRAZY BUTCH GANG
A ragtag, clever bunch of teen pickpockets.
7. TUB OF BLOOD BUNCH
Worked the East River waterfront from their headquarters, a lovely-sounding bar called Tub of Blood.
New York's most powerful 1870s gang used a special call that sounded like "why-oh!"
9. YAKEY YAKES
The leader Yakey Yake Brady got his nickname when a German bartender mispronounced his name, Jake, as "Yake."
10. KOSHER NOSTRA
More formally known as the Yiddish Black Hand Gang.
11. PLUG UGLIES
A Baltimore gang active in pre-Civil War politics, AKA election day rioting.
An Irish gang from County Kerry.
13. DAYBREAK BOYS
Known for wreaking murderous havoc on the New York waterfront in the 1850s.
Potash (from the Dutch for "pot ash") is the name for potassium compounds once commonly used in soap-making. This gang was headquartered near the Babbit Soap Factory on the Lower West Side.
15. DEAD RABBITS
A splinter group from the Roach Guard, this Irish gang fought hard against the Bowery Boys in over 200 battles.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
Subscribe to the Week