- Breaking news August 28
Comedian Joan Rivers has been rushed to New York City's Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition.
TMZ reports that the 81-year-old Rivers stopped breathing during a surgery on her vocal chords. At one point during the process, Rivers' heart stopped beating; it's currently unclear whether doctors were able to revive her.
Daughter Melissa, who routinely appeared alongside her mother in red-carpet interviews, is reportedly on her way to New York City.
UPDATE 12:51 p.m.: E! News reports that Rivers is now in "stable condition."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week