- Breaking news August 28
Comedian Joan Rivers has been rushed to New York City's Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition.
TMZ reports that the 81-year-old Rivers stopped breathing during a surgery on her vocal chords. At one point during the process, Rivers' heart stopped beating; it's currently unclear whether doctors were able to revive her.
Daughter Melissa, who routinely appeared alongside her mother in red-carpet interviews, is reportedly on her way to New York City.
UPDATE 12:51 p.m.: E! News reports that Rivers is now in "stable condition."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Why insects are the future of food
Subscribe to the Week