- Breaking news August 28
Comedian Joan Rivers has been rushed to New York City's Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition.
TMZ reports that the 81-year-old Rivers stopped breathing during a surgery on her vocal chords. At one point during the process, Rivers' heart stopped beating; it's currently unclear whether doctors were able to revive her.
Daughter Melissa, who routinely appeared alongside her mother in red-carpet interviews, is reportedly on her way to New York City.
UPDATE 12:51 p.m.: E! News reports that Rivers is now in "stable condition."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week