- Breaking news August 28
Comedian Joan Rivers has been rushed to New York City's Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition.
TMZ reports that the 81-year-old Rivers stopped breathing during a surgery on her vocal chords. At one point during the process, Rivers' heart stopped beating; it's currently unclear whether doctors were able to revive her.
Daughter Melissa, who routinely appeared alongside her mother in red-carpet interviews, is reportedly on her way to New York City.
UPDATE 12:51 p.m.: E! News reports that Rivers is now in "stable condition."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week