The Web can be a terrible time-waster. But new tools can also help you keep busy.
Darkroom, at hogbaysoftware.com, helps fight one of the worst distractions: a cluttered screen. A click of the button will black out everything but your word processor and “turn your computer into a full-screen typewriter.”
MyLifeOrganized.net provides a set of tools, including a task organizer and to-do lists, “that helps you prioritize your work and personal projects.”
Temptation Blocker, at sourceforge.net/projects/temptblocker, will “block your computer from certain programs—like that time-sucker known as e-mail—for a set period of time.”
TaskCapture, at captureworks.com/taskcapture.htm, records how long you spend using programs and files to help “figure out where your time’s going.”
(From the magazine)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week