The Web can be a terrible time-waster. But new tools can also help you keep busy.
Darkroom, at hogbaysoftware.com, helps fight one of the worst distractions: a cluttered screen. A click of the button will black out everything but your word processor and “turn your computer into a full-screen typewriter.”
MyLifeOrganized.net provides a set of tools, including a task organizer and to-do lists, “that helps you prioritize your work and personal projects.”
Temptation Blocker, at sourceforge.net/projects/temptblocker, will “block your computer from certain programs—like that time-sucker known as e-mail—for a set period of time.”
TaskCapture, at captureworks.com/taskcapture.htm, records how long you spend using programs and files to help “figure out where your time’s going.”
(From the magazine)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week