he Web can be a terrible time-waster. But new tools can also help you keep busy.
Darkroom, at hogbaysoftware.com, helps fight one of the worst distractions: a cluttered screen. A click of the button will black out everything but your word processor and “turn your computer into a full-screen typewriter.”
MyLifeOrganized.net provides a set of tools, including a task organizer and to-do lists, “that helps you prioritize your work and personal projects.”
Temptation Blocker, at sourceforge.net/projects/temptblocker, will “block your computer from certain programs—like that time-sucker known as e-mail—for a set period of time.”
TaskCapture, at captureworks.com/taskcapture.htm, records how long you spend using programs and files to help “figure out where your time’s going.”
(From the magazine)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week