he Web can be a terrible time-waster. But new tools can also help you keep busy.
Darkroom, at hogbaysoftware.com, helps fight one of the worst distractions: a cluttered screen. A click of the button will black out everything but your word processor and “turn your computer into a full-screen typewriter.”
MyLifeOrganized.net provides a set of tools, including a task organizer and to-do lists, “that helps you prioritize your work and personal projects.”
Temptation Blocker, at sourceforge.net/projects/temptblocker, will “block your computer from certain programs—like that time-sucker known as e-mail—for a set period of time.”
TaskCapture, at captureworks.com/taskcapture.htm, records how long you spend using programs and files to help “figure out where your time’s going.”
(From the magazine)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
Subscribe to the Week