The Web can be a terrible time-waster. But new tools can also help you keep busy.
Darkroom, at hogbaysoftware.com, helps fight one of the worst distractions: a cluttered screen. A click of the button will black out everything but your word processor and “turn your computer into a full-screen typewriter.”
MyLifeOrganized.net provides a set of tools, including a task organizer and to-do lists, “that helps you prioritize your work and personal projects.”
Temptation Blocker, at sourceforge.net/projects/temptblocker, will “block your computer from certain programs—like that time-sucker known as e-mail—for a set period of time.”
TaskCapture, at captureworks.com/taskcapture.htm, records how long you spend using programs and files to help “figure out where your time’s going.”
(From the magazine)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week