A California startup has made a beloved Back to the Future prop a reality, said Sean Buckley at Engadget. Arx Pax's Hendo Hoverboard uses electromagnetic field technology to lift users off the ground. Granted, it's a mere inch off the ground, and the board hovers above only "nonferrous metals like copper or aluminum," but Arx Pax hopes to improve the prototype's carrying capacity from 300 pounds to 500 by next year and has launched a Kickstarter campaign to produce 10 boards to be unveiled next October.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week