Best Business Commentary
Microsoft crying antitrust over Google’s purchase of DoubleClick “is ironic for a lot of reasons,” says Holman Jenkins Jr. in The Wall Street Journal. Work-related stress is costly, both in money and health, says Maureen Farrell in Forbes.com.
Microsoft crying antitrust over Google’s purchase of DoubleClick “is ironic for a lot of reasons,” says Holman Jenkins Jr. in The Wall Street Journal. In the 90s, Microsoft at least posed “a real antitrust conundrum.” But “not so, Google.” Google’s 65 percent market share of Web searches is based more on “sticky habit than any structural advantage”—for most users, “one search engine is pretty much like another.” For all that, Google is increasingly aping Microsoft by wasting billions in “fruitless spending.” Neither sees their “luck for what it is,” and both “squander their abnormal returns hoping to make lightning strike again.”
Keeping cool under pressure
Work-related stress is costly, both in money and health, says Maureen Farrell in Forbes.com. Some estimates have employee stress costing U.S. firms $300 billion each year, but it certainly leads to hypertension, depression, and heart disease in individual workers. To manage stress, the first thing to do is “nail down what specifically is stressing you out”—when you feel it, “put down the circumstances on paper.” Tackle the sources of stress you can control, and work to “mollify” the effects of the ones you can’t. Then take some “quick, smart steps to unwind” (e.g., exercise, “not chain-smoking or binge drinking”). And if all else fails, “try a little humor.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week