Ellen and IggyGate
The owners of a pet rescue agency received death threats after comedian Ellen DeGeneres tearfully reported on her talk show this week that the agency had taken back her dog, Iggy. Ellen lost the right to
The owners of a Pasadena, Calif., pet rescue agency—Mutts and Moms—received death threats after comedian Ellen DeGeneres tearfully reported on her talk show this week that the agency had taken back her dog, Iggy. Mutts and Moms co-owner Marina Batkis said DeGeneres had broken her adoption agreement by giving the tiny Brussels Griffon terrier to her hairdresser after discovering the dog didn’t get along with her cats. After the agency received a flood of e-mails and phone messages, including one calling Batkis and her partner “Nazi, scum-sucking pigs,” DeGeneres told E! News’ Ryan Seacrest that she just wanted what was best for the dog.
What the commentators said
“We fear Ellen's hopes to refocus the dialogue of the IggyGate debate on the dog's welfare were forfeited the moment she decided to issue a fatwa against the Pasadena puppy-placers,” said Defamer.com. Now the standup thing to do would be to “call off her army of torch-and-pitchfork-wielding Ellenites before they burn the shelter to the ground.”
“It seems hard-hearted,” said Andrew Wineke in the Colorado Springs Gazette, but it’s common for pet rescue agencies to enforce rules against giving away adopted animals. These organizations make a “lifelong commitment” to the pets they handle, and if the first home doesn’t work out they usually want to be the ones to decide where the animal goes next.
DeGeneres’ “tear-soaked performance” instantly won her “both fans and enemies” around the world, said Veronica Schmidt in London’s TimesOnline. DeGeneres’ Web site was “awash with the type of messages of support usually reserved for divorce or bereavement.” And the American media is having a field day—first gushing with support for Ellen and her hairdresser’s little girls, then wagging fingers over poor Mutts and Moms.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week