Good Day, Bad Day
Sporty Buckeyes, prim coworkers
OOD DAY FOR: Sporty Buckeyes, as Ohio State’s $109 million athletics budget allows it to spend $110,000 on each of its 980 athletes, about three times what the school spends on undergraduates for education. The high times for OSU athletics—which says it is self-supporting—comes as state budget cuts have forced the university to increase tuition by 60 percent between 2002 and 2006. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Prim coworkers, as a British study found that “social” profanity in the workplace can foster a more productive, enjoyable, and cohesive work environment. Two caveats, though: Employees should never swear in front of customers, and vulgar or abusive swearing hurts morale and productivity. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week