Good Day, Bad Day
Sporty Buckeyes, prim coworkers
OOD DAY FOR: Sporty Buckeyes, as Ohio State’s $109 million athletics budget allows it to spend $110,000 on each of its 980 athletes, about three times what the school spends on undergraduates for education. The high times for OSU athletics—which says it is self-supporting—comes as state budget cuts have forced the university to increase tuition by 60 percent between 2002 and 2006. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Prim coworkers, as a British study found that “social” profanity in the workplace can foster a more productive, enjoyable, and cohesive work environment. Two caveats, though: Employees should never swear in front of customers, and vulgar or abusive swearing hurts morale and productivity. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week