Good Day, Bad Day
Sporty Buckeyes, prim coworkers
OOD DAY FOR: Sporty Buckeyes, as Ohio State’s $109 million athletics budget allows it to spend $110,000 on each of its 980 athletes, about three times what the school spends on undergraduates for education. The high times for OSU athletics—which says it is self-supporting—comes as state budget cuts have forced the university to increase tuition by 60 percent between 2002 and 2006. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Prim coworkers, as a British study found that “social” profanity in the workplace can foster a more productive, enjoyable, and cohesive work environment. Two caveats, though: Employees should never swear in front of customers, and vulgar or abusive swearing hurts morale and productivity. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week