Good week for: Oscar Wilde, who has been voted the wittiest man in British history. The Irish-born playwright, whose famous last words were, “Either these curtains go or I do,” narrowly beat out comedian Spike Milligan, whose gravestone is inscribed with the epitaph, “I told you I was ill.”
Bad week for: The holistic approach, when a dentist accused of fondling the breasts of 27 female patients told the judge that he was merely manipulating the women’s pectoral muscles to relieve jaw pain caused by temporo-mandibular joint disorder.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
Subscribe to the Week