Good week for: Oscar Wilde, who has been voted the wittiest man in British history. The Irish-born playwright, whose famous last words were, “Either these curtains go or I do,” narrowly beat out comedian Spike Milligan, whose gravestone is inscribed with the epitaph, “I told you I was ill.”
Bad week for: The holistic approach, when a dentist accused of fondling the breasts of 27 female patients told the judge that he was merely manipulating the women’s pectoral muscles to relieve jaw pain caused by temporo-mandibular joint disorder.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week