Best Business Commentary
Investors in mutual funds are much better informed than they were on Black Monday, says Chuck Jaffe in MarketWatch. Forget all these Black Monday comparisons, says Gene Marcial in BusinessWeek.com.
chooled by Black Monday
Investors in mutual funds are much better informed than they were on Black Monday, says Chuck Jaffe in MarketWatch. Back in 1987, most “common man” investors “only knew what some salesperson had told them about the funds they owned.” Luckily, when the market lost a third of its value, “investors lost a lot of their naiveté.” Now if we hit “bad times,” investors will “intuitively” understand: if the company that manages your mutual fund goes under, it won’t take your money with it; diversify your asset types, not just funds, but don’t expect to “avoid short-term pain”; and not even a “record bad day” can spoil “a lifetime of sound investing.”
Forget all these Black Monday comparisons, says Gene Marcial in BusinessWeek.com. “The Oct. 19, 2007 sell-off should be seen, plainly, as an investor’s bargain-basement opportunity.” Aside from $90-a-barrel oil, nothing that happened Friday should “have shocked anybody.” Investors sold on “a panicky, silly notion” that the 1987 crash was repeating itself. Now, the smart “bargain hunter” will snap up banks hit by the subprime and credit crises. It’s a near certainty “that things will get better before they get worse,” and those stocks will soar at the first excuse. And if they fall more, “consider yourself lucky” and buy more shares.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week