he European Court of Justice overturned a 47-year-old German law that shielded Volkswagen AG from a takeover. The law has effectively prevented Porsche AG, VW’s largest shareholder, from taking control of the automaker. “At last, an antique of European financial legislation is confined as a business-school case study,” said Cantor Fitzgerald strategist Stephen Pope. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week