The European Court of Justice overturned a 47-year-old German law that shielded Volkswagen AG from a takeover. The law has effectively prevented Porsche AG, VW’s largest shareholder, from taking control of the automaker. “At last, an antique of European financial legislation is confined as a business-school case study,” said Cantor Fitzgerald strategist Stephen Pope. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week