The European Court of Justice overturned a 47-year-old German law that shielded Volkswagen AG from a takeover. The law has effectively prevented Porsche AG, VW’s largest shareholder, from taking control of the automaker. “At last, an antique of European financial legislation is confined as a business-school case study,” said Cantor Fitzgerald strategist Stephen Pope. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week