he European Court of Justice overturned a 47-year-old German law that shielded Volkswagen AG from a takeover. The law has effectively prevented Porsche AG, VW’s largest shareholder, from taking control of the automaker. “At last, an antique of European financial legislation is confined as a business-school case study,” said Cantor Fitzgerald strategist Stephen Pope. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week