nly in America
A Pennsylvania woman is facing up to 90 days in jail for swearing at an overflowing toilet in her own home. Dawn Herb admits she used some four-letter words near an open window when she discovered that her toilet was leaking down into her kitchen. Her neighbor, a police officer, took offense, and had her cited for disorderly conduct. “It doesn’t make any sense,” says Herb. “I was in my house. It’s not like I was outside or drunk.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Another Bitcoin exchange bites the dust
- Watch the first clip from Mad Men season 7
Subscribe to the Week