Huckabee picks up speed
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee got a bump in the polls this week after a second-place finish at the Values Voters Summitt over the weekend, behind Mitt Romney. Huckabee is "outrunning" the other second-tier candidates, said Scot Lehigh i
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee got a bump in the polls this week after a second-place finish at the Values Voters Summitt over the weekend, behind Mitt Romney. Huckabee, a Baptist minister, also received an unqualified endorsement from columnist and martial arts expert Chuck Norris further cemented Huckabee’s support from social conservatives.
What the commentators said
Huckabee is “outrunning” his second-tier rivals, said Scot Lehigh in The Boston Globe (free registration), and, suddenly, the first-tier is in sight. Jim Gilmore, Tommy Thompson, and now Sam Brownback are gone, and a new Rassmussen poll shows Huckabee tied with Fred Thompson in second place in Iowa, close behind front-runner Mitt Romney. Huckabee is “winning notice” because he’s “down to earth and likable,” an “engaging speaker,” and “seems more aware than his Republican rivals that the economy isn't working for everyone.”
Brownback’s departure is giving Huckabee a nudge, said Jonathan V. Last in the Sacramento Bee, but he “isn’t going to win the nomination.” Still, “Huckabee has done a good job establishing himself as a likable, serious conservative.”
“Huckabee is still a dark horse,” said James Pinkerton in Newsday. “But he is a buzzing dark horse.” Judging by “standing ovations,” he was definitely the “hot” candidate among values voters, and that makes him the candidate with the greatest connection to the party’s grassroots.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why America needs more billionaires
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week