Dousing California’s flames
Massive aerial drops and a break from high winds have helped firefighters make progress against California wildfires that have destroyed more than 1,000 homes and forced record evacuations. California will return to normal, said Amy Wilentz in the Los Ang
Massive aerial drops and a break from high winds have helped firefighters make progress against California wildfires that have destroyed more than 1,000 homes and forced record evacuations. President Bush is touring devastated areas on Thursday to call attention to the federal government’s efforts to improve disaster response since Hurricane Katrina two years ago.
What the commentators
Soon, California will return to normal, said Amy Wilentz in the Los Angeles Times (free registration). It always does, once the smoke clears and the fires go out. But for now, everyone who lives in the danger zone is united by the knowledge that the place where they live “could turn within minutes into something other, something unrecognizable, something dead.”
“The fires will eventually die out,” said the San Francisco Chronicle in an editorial. But global warming, which could make “catastrophic wildfires” worse and more frequent, will march on unless we do something about it. California is working toward a “historic” measure to cut emissions of greenhouse gases, and the federal government should stop dragging its feet and get to work, too.
Don’t blame global warming for the devastation, said Chris McGowan in The Huffington Post. Blame Southern California’s swelling population. “Developers continue to build new homes without appropriate planning in foothills and former wilderness areas,” where wildfires strike every year. As long as that continues, “we can expect the fire danger to grow.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week