Good Day, Bad Day
OOD DAY FOR: Tenacity, as the Federal Trade Commission is reviving its legal efforts to scuttle Whole Foods’ acquisition of Wild Oats. The $565 million deal closed in August after the FTC lost its antitrust challenge and appeal in federal court. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Realtors, as sales of existing homes in September fell a record 8 percent from August, and 19 percent from September 2006. Also, the median home price fell 4.2 percent from a year earlier. “The fundamental problem for the market is too much inventory,” said Moody’s economist Mark Zandi. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Happy Thanksgiving! 7 holiday-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week