Good Day, Bad Day
OOD DAY FOR: Tenacity, as the Federal Trade Commission is reviving its legal efforts to scuttle Whole Foods’ acquisition of Wild Oats. The $565 million deal closed in August after the FTC lost its antitrust challenge and appeal in federal court. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Realtors, as sales of existing homes in September fell a record 8 percent from August, and 19 percent from September 2006. Also, the median home price fell 4.2 percent from a year earlier. “The fundamental problem for the market is too much inventory,” said Moody’s economist Mark Zandi. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week