Good Day, Bad Day
OOD DAY FOR: Tenacity, as the Federal Trade Commission is reviving its legal efforts to scuttle Whole Foods’ acquisition of Wild Oats. The $565 million deal closed in August after the FTC lost its antitrust challenge and appeal in federal court. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Realtors, as sales of existing homes in September fell a record 8 percent from August, and 19 percent from September 2006. Also, the median home price fell 4.2 percent from a year earlier. “The fundamental problem for the market is too much inventory,” said Moody’s economist Mark Zandi. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week