Good Day, Bad Day
OOD DAY FOR: Tenacity, as the Federal Trade Commission is reviving its legal efforts to scuttle Whole Foods’ acquisition of Wild Oats. The $565 million deal closed in August after the FTC lost its antitrust challenge and appeal in federal court. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Realtors, as sales of existing homes in September fell a record 8 percent from August, and 19 percent from September 2006. Also, the median home price fell 4.2 percent from a year earlier. “The fundamental problem for the market is too much inventory,” said Moody’s economist Mark Zandi. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week