Good Day, Bad Day
OOD DAY FOR: Tenacity, as the Federal Trade Commission is reviving its legal efforts to scuttle Whole Foods’ acquisition of Wild Oats. The $565 million deal closed in August after the FTC lost its antitrust challenge and appeal in federal court. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Realtors, as sales of existing homes in September fell a record 8 percent from August, and 19 percent from September 2006. Also, the median home price fell 4.2 percent from a year earlier. “The fundamental problem for the market is too much inventory,” said Moody’s economist Mark Zandi. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week