Good week for: Emergency pit stops, after a Japanese car-accessory firm unveiled a new portable toilet designed for use in the back seat of a car. The portable commode “will come in handy during major disasters such as earthquakes,” said a company spokesman, adding, “or when you’re caught in a traffic jam.”
Bad week for: Philanthropy, with the news that Paris Hilton is headed for the blighted African nation of Rwanda to film a reality TV show about celebrities doing good works. The hotel heiress admits she is “really scared” about the five days she will spend saving Rwanda.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Don't hate the 'poor door'
- Are there too many good shows on television?
Subscribe to the Week