Good week for: Emergency pit stops, after a Japanese car-accessory firm unveiled a new portable toilet designed for use in the back seat of a car. The portable commode “will come in handy during major disasters such as earthquakes,” said a company spokesman, adding, “or when you’re caught in a traffic jam.”
Bad week for: Philanthropy, with the news that Paris Hilton is headed for the blighted African nation of Rwanda to film a reality TV show about celebrities doing good works. The hotel heiress admits she is “really scared” about the five days she will spend saving Rwanda.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Painting the universe's portrait
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week