Good week for: Emergency pit stops, after a Japanese car-accessory firm unveiled a new portable toilet designed for use in the back seat of a car. The portable commode “will come in handy during major disasters such as earthquakes,” said a company spokesman, adding, “or when you’re caught in a traffic jam.”
Bad week for: Philanthropy, with the news that Paris Hilton is headed for the blighted African nation of Rwanda to film a reality TV show about celebrities doing good works. The hotel heiress admits she is “really scared” about the five days she will spend saving Rwanda.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week