Good week for: Emergency pit stops, after a Japanese car-accessory firm unveiled a new portable toilet designed for use in the back seat of a car. The portable commode “will come in handy during major disasters such as earthquakes,” said a company spokesman, adding, “or when you’re caught in a traffic jam.”
Bad week for: Philanthropy, with the news that Paris Hilton is headed for the blighted African nation of Rwanda to film a reality TV show about celebrities doing good works. The hotel heiress admits she is “really scared” about the five days she will spend saving Rwanda.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Rise of the machines
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week