Good Day, Bad Day
Gold bugs, lunch at Taco Bell
OOD DAY FOR: Gold bugs, as near-term gold futures hit $789.10 an ounce yesterday, the highest closing price since 1980, not adjusted for inflation. Investors are turning to gold to protect against rising oil and the falling dollar. “It is extremely likely gold will get through $800 in the short term—over the next few weeks—maybe even sooner,” said strategist Peter Richardson at Craton Capital in a South Africa. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Lunch at Taco Bell, as the Mexican-themed fast food chain is giving away free tacos from 2 pm to 5 pm (local time) today, after losing a World Series base-stealing bet. At 77 cents a pop, Taco Bell could give away $233.5 million in tacos. “We don’t really know what to expect,” said Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch. (Forbes.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Why is Obama still smoking?
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
Subscribe to the Week