Good Day, Bad Day
Gold bugs, lunch at Taco Bell
OOD DAY FOR: Gold bugs, as near-term gold futures hit $789.10 an ounce yesterday, the highest closing price since 1980, not adjusted for inflation. Investors are turning to gold to protect against rising oil and the falling dollar. “It is extremely likely gold will get through $800 in the short term—over the next few weeks—maybe even sooner,” said strategist Peter Richardson at Craton Capital in a South Africa. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Lunch at Taco Bell, as the Mexican-themed fast food chain is giving away free tacos from 2 pm to 5 pm (local time) today, after losing a World Series base-stealing bet. At 77 cents a pop, Taco Bell could give away $233.5 million in tacos. “We don’t really know what to expect,” said Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch. (Forbes.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week