Good Day, Bad Day
Gold bugs, lunch at Taco Bell
OOD DAY FOR: Gold bugs, as near-term gold futures hit $789.10 an ounce yesterday, the highest closing price since 1980, not adjusted for inflation. Investors are turning to gold to protect against rising oil and the falling dollar. “It is extremely likely gold will get through $800 in the short term—over the next few weeks—maybe even sooner,” said strategist Peter Richardson at Craton Capital in a South Africa. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Lunch at Taco Bell, as the Mexican-themed fast food chain is giving away free tacos from 2 pm to 5 pm (local time) today, after losing a World Series base-stealing bet. At 77 cents a pop, Taco Bell could give away $233.5 million in tacos. “We don’t really know what to expect,” said Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch. (Forbes.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week