Good Day, Bad Day
New friends, paying respect
OOD DAY FOR: New friends, as MySpace agreed to join the Google-led OpenSocial social-networking consortium. The group aims to come up with standards that will allow software developers to write programs that work on all participating social-networking sites. (MarketWatch) Facebook says it hasn’t been invited to join the group. (CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Paying respect, after the Writers Guild of American announced its intention to strike for the first time in 20 years. “What we can negotiate for is money,” said guild member Paul Guay. “How we assess respect and worth in this town is money.” (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week