Good week for: Animal solidarity, after James Harris of Illinois was shot by his own dog during a hunting trip. Harris left his shotgun on the ground as he went to retrieve a downed pheasant. The dog then apparently stepped on the weapon’s trigger, successfully shooting Harris in the leg.
Bad week for: Believers in Bigfoot, who had announced that a photo taken by deer hunters in the Pennsylvania woods proved that the legendary beast really exists. “It appears to be a juvenile Sasquatch,” said Paul Majeta of the Bigfoot Research Organization. State game officials, though, said the creature in the photo was clearly “a bear with a severe case of mange.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week