Good week for: Animal solidarity, after James Harris of Illinois was shot by his own dog during a hunting trip. Harris left his shotgun on the ground as he went to retrieve a downed pheasant. The dog then apparently stepped on the weapon’s trigger, successfully shooting Harris in the leg.
Bad week for: Believers in Bigfoot, who had announced that a photo taken by deer hunters in the Pennsylvania woods proved that the legendary beast really exists. “It appears to be a juvenile Sasquatch,” said Paul Majeta of the Bigfoot Research Organization. State game officials, though, said the creature in the photo was clearly “a bear with a severe case of mange.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week