Good week for: Animal solidarity, after James Harris of Illinois was shot by his own dog during a hunting trip. Harris left his shotgun on the ground as he went to retrieve a downed pheasant. The dog then apparently stepped on the weapon’s trigger, successfully shooting Harris in the leg.
Bad week for: Believers in Bigfoot, who had announced that a photo taken by deer hunters in the Pennsylvania woods proved that the legendary beast really exists. “It appears to be a juvenile Sasquatch,” said Paul Majeta of the Bigfoot Research Organization. State game officials, though, said the creature in the photo was clearly “a bear with a severe case of mange.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week