Good week for: Animal solidarity, after James Harris of Illinois was shot by his own dog during a hunting trip. Harris left his shotgun on the ground as he went to retrieve a downed pheasant. The dog then apparently stepped on the weapon’s trigger, successfully shooting Harris in the leg.
Bad week for: Believers in Bigfoot, who had announced that a photo taken by deer hunters in the Pennsylvania woods proved that the legendary beast really exists. “It appears to be a juvenile Sasquatch,” said Paul Majeta of the Bigfoot Research Organization. State game officials, though, said the creature in the photo was clearly “a bear with a severe case of mange.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week